What's new

Young Sheldon (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sheldon's recounting his interpretation of his childhood memories as an adult is one of the rather fascinating things overall about Young Sheldon and likely applies to most of us. Sheldon was never very good as telling things as most people would remember them. Many, many times during the BBT when Sheldon told his version of 'what happened' it rarely had much resemblance over what we actually saw and what everyone else said happened. Even if he got the details perfect, his interpretation of why it happened and the meaning of what happened were often radically off base.

Esp if the next year or two has some bad things happen it could easily have colored Adult Sheldon's recounting of events further. Same thing with Adult Sheldon telling stories about his Brother and the completely different Georgie we actually met as a rather successful businessman later in the show. Mee-maw isn't quite as perfect as Sheldon's stories in BBT seem to indicate. I find a lot of the Mother and Sister stories seem to fit though he obviously had much more affection for all the family we've seen than he even indicated in BBT -- again not an interpretation Sheldon at any age would be very good at telling

Things like how much drinking constitutes being an Alcoholic, his constant derision of his perception of the inadequacies of Leonard's Research or intelligence, or esp non PhD Howard despite both of the latter being Top 1% of most people are just par for the course, his various bosses over the years, his dismissal of Kripke and Leslie Winkle. In letting us see the real events in Young Sheldon, it's pretty obvious that Sheldon as the Unreliable Narrator in BBT is all that much clearer.

The way BBT and Young Sheldon are constructed is really very strangely compelling. The writing is stellar so far. It is somewhat interesting that as much as Sheldon quickly became the more interesting character in BBT instead of Leonard, Missy seems to be developing into the more interesting piece of the puzzle in Young Sheldon.

It's rather interesting that as often as we see Sheldon in BBT completely botch a story/memory, that most of us just sort of assumed the stories he told of his childhood were fairly reliably accurate (even if somewhat exaggerated). Having a lot of that turned on our head seems to be a joke the writers are having a lot of fun poking BBT fans with.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My wife and I found this finale interesting in several ways, but moreso because just the other night, we caught a rerun of the TBBT S1 episode where, to put it as she had, Sheldon tried to "pimp her out for cheese". And in this YS episode, he took on a "moral responsibility" for her.

A couple of weeks ago, we'd caught a rerun of the TBBT S12 episode where Tam makes an appearance, but since that was when the two shows ran concurrently, it was no surprise. But we've been wondering what happened to Sheldon's nemesis Paige. We don't recall that she was ever mentioned by Older Sheldon in TBBT. Or Dr. Sturgis, for that matter.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I could never get into "The Big Bang Theory", but I enjoy this show.

The last couple episodes seem to be building toward that. The previous episode heavily foreshadowed the fact that Sheldon's father is going to die within the next few years. And the finale strongly hinted at Sheldon's father's infidelity. It'll be interesting to see how much they lean into that in future seasons; I don't know that I've ever seen a sitcom centered around a bad marriage before, except maybe "Married With Children".
Some of the season nine episodes of Rosanne did. Arguably it was mostly just talked about post mortem in Grace Under Fire. Chuck Lorre had involvement in those two shows as well as BBT & YS.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The season premiere backed away from George Sr.'s infidelity, with his latest heart incident stopping things before they could get too far. That being said, it didn't entirely close off that possibility for the future.

Shows with adolescent characters probably shouldn't have season premieres that pick up immediately from where the previous season finale left off. Missy, in particular, looks considerably older than she did at the end of last season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight was the 100th episode, and it had some pretty big moments.

For one, they brought back Mckenna Grace as Paige. She's one of my favorite recurring characters, and her appearances have a way of reflecting how much Sheldon has matured (or not) since their last encounter. Usually she's a few steps ahead of Sheldon, so it was unexpected to see her struggling with college while Sheldon has acclimated beautifully. Part of that is Sheldon's spectacular lack of social intelligence and limited empathy shields him from the lonelier parts of being a child prodigy. For Sheldon, the science really is enough. One of the trickier parts of this show's concept as a prequel is that it is limited in how far its title character can progress and evolve, given where his character was at the start of "The Big Bang Theory". This episode turned that limitation into an asset, and made really effective use of Jim Parsons's voiceover narration as adult Sheldon: looking back, he can recognize and appreciate aspects of what was going on that he couldn't at the time, like Missy's intervention to help Paige.

Jail bait storylines are usually really icky, but they've threaded the needle pretty well with Georgie's subplot. Georgie is (just barely) old enough to legally consent, and he actively misled the older woman he was sleeping with. It also reverses the usual gender dynamics for these kind of stories, including Georgie now having to grapple with the very real and very long term consequences of having casual sex. Strangely enough, even though Georgie's dumb as a brick, he's probably better prepared to be a father than most 17-year-olds. He's gainfully employed with a full-time job, for one thing.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Though this may be a little hyperbolic, but this was maybe one of the shows best episodes. It’s just about done with its fifth season so I’m sure there have been others I’ve thought that of, but this episode was definitely a stand out at the very least. Such a great show!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The whole crisis with Georgie knocking up his (much older) girlfriend is really revealing, in the ways it's bringing the family together and pulling it apart.

Mary's bond with Pastor Rob is a sore point for George Sr., not least because he knows how much of a crush Pastor Rob has on his wife, but he gave her good advice tonight. Unfortunately, it looks like the congregation is going to be a lot less forgiving. And the congregation controls the purse strings that keep the church afloat. Even if Pastor Jeff is sympathetic to Mary, and it doesn't seem like he is, I doubt he'd risk his own job to protect hers.

Missy seems to be developing into the more interesting piece of the puzzle in Young Sheldon.
Raegan Revord gave a great dramatic performance tonight in her scene with Georgie in the garage. She makes for a great foil for Sheldon, because their strengths are so opposite. Missy isn't especially talented academically, but she has tremendous social intelligence and possesses an empathy that Sheldon lacks.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
That's good news. Wasn't it supposed to end with season 5.?

Not that I'd ever heard. I imagine that was discussed by a number of people after working the math and figuring that YS could only run a restricted length of time before it starts contradicting the timeline assumed from The Big Bang Theory. Me, I don't really care. I'm enjoying it, and will keep watching until I stop enjoying it (or it ends on its own, whichever comes first). Inconsistency with the original show won't bother me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good to have this one back. This episode did a good job balancing the comedy and the drama.

It's always dangerous to have a season premiere pick up immediately after where the previous season finale left off when you have children in your cast, though. The actor who plays young Sheldon shot up about half foot during the hiatus and his voice changed, too.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The actor who plays young Sheldon shot up about half foot during the hiatus and his voice changed, too.

It was a jolt for me (and my wife) from the moment he first opened his mouth. Aside from such things happening at that age, it shouldn't be surprising to see him gain height given how tall Sheldon gets to be. But as I recall from her appearance in TBBT, Missy was about the same height, while it looks like here, Sheldon has passed Missy in height (though not significantly).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
With George Sr.'s death probably coming in the next season or two, we're getting to see Georgie really step up and adjust his priorities. That's for his coming child, of course, but it also will leave him better prepared to step in when his father dies and Sheldon goes off to Caltech.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It was fun in the early seasons seeing Paige one-up Sheldon all of the time, but I like her better now that she's gone off the rails a bit. The biggest difference between her and Sheldon is that Sheldon's lack of self-awareness protects him from the world, so he doesn't see what he's missing, and wouldn't desire it if he did. I love that Sheldon and Missy together make one decent friend for Paige.

With Sheldon and his mom watching the series premiere of "Deep Space Nine" a couple episodes back, it looks like we're up to 1993 in the timeline, a couple years after Nirvana released Nevermind. Accordingly, it was good to see Paige and Missy embrace the grunge look.

In this latest run of episodes, we begin to see both why Georgie will have so many ex-wives, and why he's on such good terms with all of them.

Missy clearly knows there's something not entirely above board between her dad and Brenda. I think the show needs to either commit to George's affair or conclusively provide a retcon for what Sheldon thought he saw when he walked in on his dad with another woman.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
I love the YOUNG SHELDON tv series. Great writing and the series is very enjoyable..
My only problem is as to why Sheldon shares the same room as his sister now that they are both going through puberty?

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Some of the season nine episodes of Rosanne did. Arguably it was mostly just talked about post mortem in Grace Under Fire. Chuck Lorre had involvement in those two shows as well as BBT & YS.
I also was only able to watch part of one episode of the Big Bang Theory. Too much canned laughter for unfunny dialogue.I am aware that it was filmed live buy really is all the laughter genuine or mostly canned? At least Young Sheldon is genuinely funny without any canned laughter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petr
Recent bookmarks