What's new

I upgraded my monitor to 21:9 - I love it so far (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
After using a 27" Samsung 1080p 16:9 monitor for decades, I took the plunge with some birthday money and picked up a 34" LG Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor. I had tried off and on using two monitors, but my desk just could not accommodate having two monitors, even if I tried to use a dual mounting arm or place the second monitor on top of my 2-drawer file cabinet next to my desk. For years, I was afraid that the wider monitor would be intimidating or just too wide for me and wasn't sure I would even like the curved screen, but since I have been doing more video editing lately, I decided I needed something that could provide me with better resolution and more screen real estate. The cost was also a bit prohibitive over the years, with many of these monitors going for $500 and up (I'm a cheapskate).

Well, during Amazon's last big sale, LG's entry-level 1440p 21:9 with HDR10, model 34WP60C, went on sale for $229.99 (it has since returned to its full price of $349.99). I just got it installed, and although at times the on screen text is sometimes too small, the brighter colors, brighter overall image, sharper resolution overall has impressed me so far, and when I opened DaVinci Resolve, the added real estate was the clincher. My desktop no longer feels claustrophobic, and I actually feel a bit more confident when making any color corrections to my footage.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Can you play 4K 2.35 scope movies using the LG's entire screen? That should be another amazing capability if you can. I went with a native 2.35 projector for the scope advantage alone.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Can you play 4K 2.35 scope movies using the LG's entire screen? That should be another amazing capability if you can. I went with a native 2.35 projector for the scope advantage alone.
I was able to play a portion of a 2.39:1 movie thru a web browser from Movies Anywhere, but it looked horrible due to the fact that most browsers are only able to stream from services in SD.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

The ultrawide monitor is much lower resolution than 4K, so far from ideal for watching a 4K scope movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petr
Recent bookmarks